Coolest Mermaid Birthday Cake
I made this mermaid birthday cake for my niece Oroni who turned three in November 2012. The cake is a chocolate chiffon cake (recipe from joyofbaking.com) which is a cross between butter cake and sponge cake.
Mermaid Birthday Cake Instructions
- I crumb coated all sides of the cake, apart from the sandy part, with light blue buttercream frosting.
- I used the same frosting between the layers. Also, I made a round cake in a soup bowl to create the rock for the mermaid to sit on.
- The beach side and the rock were covered with chocolate buttercream which was made by simply adding some cocoa powder to the plain buttercream.
- I made the waves with a darker shade of blue buttercream and used a fork to make the shape uneven.
- Also, I used royal icing for the waves since that gives a bright white color.
- The water in the middle was done with lemon flavored blue jello. The rock was covered with sea weed like icing (a green color was added to the chocolate colored icing used on the rock) using a Wilton tip.
- I used caramelized sugar to make the colored corals by dropping them on ice cubes while they were still hot.
- I used biscuit crumbs to make the beach. The sea creatures and flowers were sugar toppers bought from a cake shop.
- I used mint candies and sour worms for decorations.
- The mermaid was a plastic (non-edible) doll and I added glitter on its tail.
It was fun to make this cake!