Coolest Mr. Potato Head Cake for Dad
I made this Mr. Potato Head cake for my dad. His birthday had come around again and I just didn’t know what to make for him. After a long discussion, my sister and I came up with Mr. Potato Head.
Steps for Making this Mr. Potato Head Cake
- I only made a small cake, so I baked a 5″ round cake three layers high.
- I then attached the layers together using buttercream and jam.
- I placed three wooden skewers through the cake to hold it still while I cut it into the shape for the head.
- Then, I covered the whole cake in buttercream and chilled it in the freezer.
- Next, I covered the cake board in white fondant and let it dry out a while before colouring it slightly with a paint brush using edible color and a little vodka.
- I rolled out some fondant in a brown/orange colour and when the cake was chilled I covered the whole cake.
- I made a nose and the eyelids in the same colour fondant.
- I attached a black mustache made out of fondant and a black hat I made earlier.
- I made the eyes out of white fondant and attached black fondant for the centre of the eyes.
- I made the eyebrows and attached them.
- I coloured some fondant in pink and made the ears, and then set these aside to harden before attaching.
- I made a shirt collar and attached it to the base of the cake at the back and I also made some blue shoes.
- I made white arms and attached them to the potato and then cut out the lettering in yellow and attached it to the cake board.
The cake was now finished and dad loved it!