Coolest R2D2 Cake
Here is what you need for this R2D2 Cake:
1 9×13 cake homemade, freeze about 45 minutes first
3 cups butter cream frosting
M&Ms and Twizzlers for embellishments.
I got a basic outline of R2D2 off the internet, search for “coloring pages”, or “how to draw R2D2”. Then I blew it up to 8 ½ x 11. I then drew it onto a piece of wax paper with permanent marker. R2D2 has a lot of detail, its better to simplify and just do a few on the cake.
1) Trace shape onto cake using waxpaper and toothpicks
2) Cut the cake into the shape of R2D2
3) Freeze cake 20-45 minutes to make it easier to frost edges
4) Color frosting (can be done the night before)
5) 2 cups white
6) 1/2 cup gray frosting (1 red: 1 green: 1 blue)
7) 1/2 cup blue frosting
8) Do the white frosting first and the gray dome.
9) Let sit 15 minutes until the frosting is hardened a bit and then laying a smooth tissue over the frosting and rubbing a spatula in careful circles over the tissue, smooth the frosting to give it the smooth fondant look.
10) Use a toothpick to sketch on blue and silver designs
11) Sketch blue designs
12) Pipe on blue with largest tip available
13) Pipe on gray designs with a narrower tip and outline R2D2’s white areas.
14) Embellish with red and yellow peanut butter M&M’s and Twizzlers for the wires on R2’s feet.
2 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cups cocoa powder
1 ¾ tsp baking soda
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 ¾ cups sugar
1 cup cold water
2 tsp vanilla
Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour cake pan or grease and line with waxed paper. Mix flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together in large bowl. Stir in sugar. Add shortening. Gradually beat in water at low speed with electric mixer until combined. Stir in vanilla. Beat at high speed 2 minutes. Add eggs; beat 2 minutes. Pour into prepared cake pan and bake 35-40 minutes, until wooden pick inserted into center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes. Loosen cake edge from pan, invert on a rack, remove waxed paper and cool completely.
6 cups powdered sugar, divided
¾ cup butter or margarine softened
¼ cup shortening (makes better frosting for decorating)
6-8 tablespoons milk, divided
1 tsp vanilla
Combine 3 cups powdered sugar, butter, shortening, 4 tablespoons milk and vanilla in a large bowl. Beat with electric mixer until smooth. Add remaining powdered sugar; beat until light and fluffy, adding more milk, 1 tablespoon at a time as needed for good spreading consistency.