I started this Homemade Flower Cake by making the flowers and leaves, this was the first time I had made them. I coloured some flower paste icing in green and yellow, always store unused flower icing in a sealed bag because it dries out really quick. I used cutters I had bought and cut the flowers out using flower paste icing, this dries really hard. I then used a ball tool to flattern out the petals and molded them into shape and placed them in a small dish which was bevelled so the flowers dried with a curve and the petals stayed raised. Then I did the same to the leaves.
I baked a 8" Madeira cake and left it to cool till next day. Then I crumb coated with buttercream icing and placed in fridge to set for about 30 min. I then placed the cake onto a 10" cake board and iced the cake and let the icing fit around the board that was showing. I mixed up some royal icing and piped around the base and top edge of the cake in white then I mixed a very small amount of yellow icing and with a writing nozzle I did some squiggly lines over the top of the icing I had done on the top edge of the cake and then I changed the tip to a star tip and piped some stars around the base of the cake. With the same nozzle I piped the writing on the cake. Last of all I attached the ribbon around the cake.
I made this Flower Cake for my niece's Garden Party. I love making cakes and sculpting. It is somehow relaxing and rewarding at the same time. I basically made this out of four boxes of cake mix from the store. It was red velvet but any kind would work.
I baked it in one round pan and then two large rectangle pans. The round pan served as the center of the cake. I carved a little off though because it was too big as it set. The Petals: I just cut out of the other two cake pans. Then I carved a little off the top of the whole thing once it was put all together to make it as even as I could. As far as the icing goes: I iced it once over the whole thing and put it back in the fridge to set. Then I iced it again and started piping on the rest. Most the icing was done with the star tip, except for the grass and the flowers.
As far as the lady bug goes, I basically just made it out of the left over parts of the cake. The antennas were little pieces of black licorice I cut up. Sorry this isn't more descriptive I am not sure exactly how I pulled it off.