A little artist was the inspiration for this hot air balloon cake. Yes, this cake was in fact designed by my 6 year old daughter, Mali. She wanted to give her cousin Emily, who was turning 10, a surprise party and she wanted me to make the cake that she had drawn for her.
Mali’s idea sounded like a great one, so I decided to go along with the boss’ request… Lol! ;) As noted, the cake she wanted me to make was to be a replica of her hand drawn hot air balloon. It had to include clouds and kittens. It also had to have a leopard print inside. It was quite fun being told by a 6 year old how to make a cake.
Making the Hot Air Balloon Cake
- I ended up making a sponge cake with buttercream frosting.
- I did get in minor trouble from the designer when my leopard print sponge ended up looking like zebra print! Whoopsy!
- The rest of the cake went according to plan though.
- The outside was covered in buttercream.
- The balloon was made from Styrofoam and covered with fondant.
- The kittens and basket were also made with fondant.
I had a great time working with my little one. It was a great day and the party went as planned.
Emily (the birthday girl) was super excited and she loved her cake!