Awesome Homemade Fire Truck Cake With Chocolate Ladder
I made this Fire Truck Cake for my littlest boy who just turned three!!
1x white chocolate mud cake into an 18cm square tin (7cm deep).
1x vanilla cake into a 20x30cm rectangle tin.
The recipes I used were both Donna Hay ones – Melt & Mix White Chocolate Mud Cake and Melt & Mix Vanilla Cake. The Mud cake will form the back half of the truck and the vanilla cake will form the cab of the truck and the grey piece that goes in the middle.
Fire Truck Back – Mud Cake
* Cut the mud cake in half widthways to give you 2x 18cm square pieces that are approx 3.5cm high.
* Cut each square at 4cm intervals to give you 4x 4cm wide rectangles that are each 18cm in length.
* You should now have a total of 8 rectangle pieces of mud cake that are 4cm wide; 18cm long and 3.5cm high.
* Stack 3 rectangle pieces; 2 rectangle pieces and then the remaining 3 rectangle pieces. Use buttercream in between the layers to secure.
Fire Truck Cake Middle & Cab – Vanilla Cake
* Cut three pieces that measure 10cm x 12cm (these become the cab).
* Cut two pieces that measure 5cm x 12cm (these become the middle section).
* Stack the three 10cm x 12cm pieces using buttercream in between the layers to secure. The 12cm long side becomes the front of the fire truck.
* Stack the two 5cm x 12cm pieces using buttercream. The 12cm long side sits behind the cab to form the middle section of the truck.
Covering and Finishing the Fire Truck Cake
* Cover the cab section and the back of the truck with bright red buttercream.
* Cover the middle section of the truck with grey buttercream.
* The windows; grill; headlights; side ladders and other various buttons were all made using runout royal icing.
* The fire hose and roof lights were all made from fondant.
* The ladder was made from chocolate (candy melts).
* I used mini wagon wheels for the wheels.