My daughter wanted to have an Izzy cake for her Jake and the Neverland Pirates party so I took a stab at creating my own Izzy from Jake and the Neverland Pirates Cake. My almost 6-year-old daughter helped me make the cake and I made the marshmallow fondant – which is a lot more cost effective, easier to work with, and tastes better than the store bought version.
The recipe is simple:
1. Microwave a 16 oz bag of miniature marshmallows in a bowl in 30-second increments until melted.
2. Add 4 tablespoons of water and 1 teaspoon of clear vanilla or your favorite flavored extract. If you want the fondant colored, add it at this time.
3. Beat in confectionery sugar one cup at a time until you have a stiff, sticky dough.
4. Rub shortening on clean hands and knead the dough on a clean surface dusted with confectionery sugar. Add more confectionery sugar until the dough forms into a ball.
5. Coat ball with shortening, wrap in plastic wrap and put in the refrigerator over night.
6. The next day, coat a clean surface with shortening and roll the dough out. It’s ready to use.
I hope you enjoy the cake and recipe and it sparks your own creativity!