A co-worker wanted a Mario themed cake for her 8 year old son. She said the magic words, SURPRISE ME! So, for this cake my imagination could finally be let loose!
Mario Themed Cake Instructions
- I had extra fondant left over (Michelle fosters fondant recipe- you can find it on Google).
- I made the fondant Mario ( looked on you tube how to make it) about 2 days before the cake needed to be done. I initially wanted to have him standing but he was too top heavy, so plan B was to have him standing inside something.
- I used an ice cream cone covered in green icing, and then covered it in green fondant.
- The mushrooms were made from fondant covered cupcakes.
- The fish, jelly fish, and coins were all made from fondant.
- Everything else was covered in buttercream.
- I had a chunk of cake leftover and used that little square just to add a little height.
I wanted to have it be a land cake with an old school under the sea theme, but I didn’t find anything online for cakes with that theme, so I went online, printed pictures out, and created a design.
My friend was so pleased, and her son absolutely loved his cake. It was so fun to make!