Coolest Care Bear Birthday Cake
I made this Homemade Care Bear Birthday Cake for my granddaughter’s fourth birthday.
Several days before baking and decorating the birthday cake I designed the decoration layout and used color flow icing to create the Care Bears, rainbow and other decorations. I ALWAYS make at least two sets of color flow icing items due to the high risk of breakage when placing the decorations on a cake.
1. I used downloaded free color pages to find the right size Care Bears to use on the cake top.
2. Once the correct size was found, I free-handedly sketched the correct belly badges for the four Care Bears my granddaughter wanted on her cake. I cut away the art work that was printed with the color pages and added the new belly badges.
3. I sketched a rainbow to fit the long side of the 9 x 13 inch cake pan.
4. I used the width of the rainbow to guide the lettering of Happy Birthday Bethany.
5. I used my scanner to make copies of the art work I needed for the cake.
6. I taped each design to an appropriately sized cake board and colored each drawing with color flow icing.
7. I allowed the art work to air dry for at least 24 hours before I handled it.
Next I made the cake…
1. I made a 9 x 13 inch sheet cake. (Chocolate, of course.)
2. After the cake cooled I placed it on a cake board and iced the cake with confectioners’ sugar tinted sky blue.
3. I placed the art work on the cake using white confectioners’ icing and a # 8 Wilton tip. The white icing looked like clouds and created a three dimensional effect for the top of the cake.
4. I edged the top of the cake with the white icing to create the illusion of more clouds.
The cake was admired by children and adults at the birthday party. The adults appreciated the details such as the heart shaped foot pads and the red heart on the hip of each Care Bear.