This gamer cake is the one that started my new hobby of cake decorating. It is the cake that kept me awake for 2 weeks until I was happy with the design. It was inspired by the game/anime Danganronpa. In the game, the bear of despair (Monokuma) kills the bunny of hope (Monomi) with Tetris blocks.
My niece just loves that game so I made it for her in cake for her 17th birthday. I will never forget the stars in her eyes when I unveiled it… the same stars as when she was 5 and made me feel like I was the best thing since slice bread. And the best part… it wasn’t that complicated to make.
Have a great day. :)
Steps for Making the Gamer Cake
Candy Melt Monomi (Bunny) Ears:
- I used Wilton candy melts and a extra large coffee cup from Tim Hortons.
- Cut the cup in 2 and poured melted candy into it and added 2 bamboo skewers per ears. Voila!
Candy Melt Monikuma (Bear) Faces:
- Printed an image of Monokuma and traced it on parchment paper.
- Then piped the design with candy melts.
- Baked a 9 x15 rectangular cake.
- Covered it with black fondant.
- Cut small squares of colored fondant to make the Tetris blocks.
- Placed the pieces on the top of the cake and when happy with the design, glued them on with a little bit of water.
Monomi (Bunny) Head:
- I used the Wilton 3D ball pan and placed it on the Tetris board (it’s really heavy once you add the ears, so make sure to use supports).
- I covered the head with buttercream and a star tip, and used a round #4 for the face details.
- I added the ears and a bow made of florist paste.
Giant Tetris Pieces:
- Make cubes of rice treats and cover them with fondant.
- Use bamboo skewers to form the pieces.
Hope you enjoy!