I made this Alice in Wonderland baby shower cake for my niece Eleyna. It was a challenge, but super fun.
Assembling the Alice in Wonderland Baby Shower Cake
- The caterpillar was one of the biggest challenges. Just trying to get his expression right and then attaching each little shoe took a great deal of time and patience, but when he was complete he looked as cute as I imagined he would.
- It took me almost a whole week to make the tea cups, dishes, teapot, and hand painted rabbit and queen. I think that was the hardest part.
- The cakes sizes starting from the top were 6″, 8″, 10″, and 12″.
- The pocket watch was edible. Actually, everything on the cake was edible except the wire I put in to make the tea pouring effect.
- From the pocket watch to the tea cups, the plates to the flowers, and the 3D pics were all made of a combination of gum paste and fondant.
- Everything was sculpted by hand and also hand painted with edible gel colors.
- On top of the Cheshire Cat is Alice’s dress and legs sticking out. I wanted to include Alice somehow since she’s an important part.
As a whole I think the cake came out looking pretty amazing, but you be the judge.