My nephew asked for a Very Hungry Caterpillar cake and so I went on a mission to make the perfect one. I figured I needed something that would make a curved cake with ridges, bundt cake tin! I tried a couple, none were ridged enough until I shelled out for the (very expensive) Nordicware one.
I baked the cake, then cut into pieces, made the shape etc and then began the buttercream painting. I made a couple of shades of green and tried to smear them on not too perfectly so it looked more like the book. I made it smooth with a pastry brush dipped in hot water (and some help from my 5 year old niece). I made the feet out of jelly tots and the eyes using some licorice.
I was pretty pleased with the result, but my husband reckons it’s missing the final piece of its tail… I ran out of cake!