I made this Winter Wonderland diaper cake for my dear friend who I hadn’t seen in 5 years. She contacted me to ask if I could make a diaper cake for her daughter’s baby shower. I have only made about 5 diaper cakes. I love to make diaper cakes and get very excited when I get to do one. The baby is due in January, so they were going with a Winter Wonderland theme.
Winter Wonderland Diaper Cake Details
- I used 200 diapers to make this diaper cake because I wanted it to be large. You can make it with less if you like.
- The first thing I do is create the base using styrofoam. I cut a circle as large as I need it to be and then glue one of those noodles that are used for swimming in the pool to the styrofoam plate I cut out. This will make it possible for the whole cake to stay together.
- I then cut out another 2 plates out of styrofoam with each one being smaller than the other in size.
- I usually get size 2 and 3 diapers because many of the people I have made the diaper cakes for like to keep them displayed in the baby’s room for a while. I use larger diapers so they can keep it a bit longer.
- I use the smaller size diapers on top and the larger size diapers on the bottom.
- I rolled every diaper and used a clear rubber band around each one.
- Then I arranged them on the base I prepared, placing the diapers around the noodle.
- Once I had the size I wanted with the diapers, I used a large clear rubber band to secure the bunch.
- I then cut a hole in the middle of the next styrofoam plate. The hole should be a little smaller than the noodle because you can then squeeze the noodle to get the plate through.
- I started the whole process again with arranging the diapers and securing them.
- These steps were repeated a 3rd time for the last tier. That completed the making of the cake.
- I then used mesh, plastic safety pins, cut out foam snowflakes and letters to decorate the cake.
As I walked from the car to the second floor of the restaurant to the room where the baby shower was going to be held, everyone that passed me stopped to talk to me about the diaper cake. Many could not believe it was made of diapers. The Winter Wonderland diaper cake had everyone “frozen” in amazement!