Take a look at these cool homemade barn cakes shared with us by cake decorators from around the world. Along with the birthday cakes here, you’ll also find loads DIY birthday cake-making ideas and how-to tips to inspire your next birthday cake project. Enjoy!
And don’t forget… if you end up with a cool cake, have great tips to share or pictures of awesome birthday cakes you’ve made in the past, share them here and be a part of our coolest birthday cake community.
Latest Farming Scene and Barn Cakes
- Cool Ideas for Making Cakes for a Barnyard Theme PartyI used an idea for making cakes I found online. I started with a yellow cake mix and using buttercream … Read more
- Cool Homemade Farming Scene Birthday CakeThis farming scene birthday cake was my first cake that I did for a friend and I was thrilled with how … Read more
- Coolest Farming Scene Birthday CakeThe Request: “Mom, for Garrett’s second birthday would you make a cake with farm animals and real tractors?” When my … Read more
- Awesome Farm Animal CakeThis farm animal cake was made for my son’s birthday July 2, 2015. The animals I made (cow, chicks/chicken, and … Read more
- Cool Farm Cake with Pretzel Stick FenceMy daughter wanted a pony ride birthday party so I decided to surprise her with a farm cake. I used … Read more
- Coolest Ploughed Field Farm CakeI first made this ploughed field farm cake for my eldest son’s third birthday. Twenty five years later I was … Read more
- Cool 3-Tier Farm Cake for a First BirthdayThis farm cake was supposed to be a simple 2 tier cake with a farm scene. It was for a … Read more
- Amazing Barnyard CakeMy grandson Cayden, who turned four on this birthday, presented me with a drawing of exactly how he wanted his … Read more
- Cool County Fair CakeOur Jefferson County Tennessee Fair was celebrating its 70th year this year and I decided to submit a cake in … Read more
- Farmyard Joint Birthday CakeMy nephew asked if I could make his two children a joint birthday cake. The theme being farm animals as … Read more
- Cool Homemade 3-Tier Farm Scene Birthday CakeA friend of ours asked me to make another cake for her daughter’s 2nd birthday, the theme was a farm … Read more
- Cool Homemade Farmer Scene Birthday CakeNo matter your age, celebrate your inner child! This farmer themed cake was delivered to an 85 year old man … Read more
This cake was for a first birthday of a little boy who loves farm animals. I got the idea from looking at other photos of barn cakes. I took the parts of other cakes that I liked and combined them to get the finished product.
I used graham crackers for the barn walls and roof, using frosting as glue. Once built I used a rose tip to make the clapboard look. I used wedding cake dowels as support for the roof also giving the pole barn look. Using stick pretzels and frosting as glue I put up a fence around the barn. I crushed graham crackers (leftover from the barn) to make the feed for the chickens.
I always use box mix per directions. It is a huge time saver and as long as you are careful not to overcook it never disappoints. My frosting is homemade using 10x Crisco clear vanilla and whole milk.
Lots of prep work for a first timer on barn cakes. The royal icing animals were made well in advance of the party. The base cake is 9×13 – chocolate with buttercream blue and red shell border.
I used shaved milk chocolate instead of coconut under the animals. The fence was made with pretzel sticks glued together with royal icing.
I used the Wilton Standup House Pan for the barn. The haystacks were made using the Wilton Mini wonder mold pan with tip 233 pullout “hay”.
Since it was my son’s first birthday I made an extra haystack to use as his smash cake. It certainly entertained the guests!