This bass fish birthday cake was one of the first I made. It was for my son’s 18th birthday. I chose to go with this idea because my son is a fisherman. Once I started though, I discovered that the bass fish was hard to sculpt.
Bass Fish Birthday Cake Instructions
- I made some Rice Krispie treats and got them too thin so they did not hold any shape, so I made more Rice Krispie treats. Thank goodness they were just the way I needed them on my second attempt.
- I started sculpting the fish, but my husband told me it looked like a dinosaur. That made me kind of mad. After all the work I had put into this, that was the reaction I got!?! I was determined to make this dinosaur looking thing I had created look like a fish. My determination paid off and finally it came together.
- I made the fins and tail out of marshmallow fondant and had to wait for them to dry.
- Once they dried I painted them with food coloring.
- When all the parts was ready to assemble, I broke one of the fins trying to attach it. I didn’t have time to make another one and let it dry, so I took a little water and fixed it.
My son was so excited when he saw this cake for the first time. He could not believe his Mom had made the fish on his birthday cake.