I made this treasure chest cake for my nephew’s 1st birthday the other week. He had a pirate themed birthday and I thought, “how cool would a treasure chest be?”
Steps to Make the Cake
- First, I baked two 14 inch square chocolate mud cakes.
- I then cut them in half and layered 3 of them on top of each other
- I frosted each layer with chocolate ganache.
- Next, I trimmed the last layer which was for the lid of the treasure chest and put it in the fridge to cool while I covered the box.
- I crumb coated the treasure chest box and then covered the whole thing in fondant.
- I also used a tool to make indents around the box to give it a wood effect.
- Then I painted the chest.
- Once complete I sat it aside and carried on with the lid.
- I crumb coated the lid and also covered that in fondant.
- I used the same tool as I did with the main box to give it that wood effect.
- Once complete, I piled chocolate gold coins and lollies on top of the chest and then placed the lid on top.
- I also had two cake dowels in each corner of the cake to hold the lid.
- I painted the lid and added the finishing touches like the lock, the side corners and top strips.
- I also crushed biscuits to give a sand look around the cake.
I had comments all day and the next and people were just amazed. They really thought the outside was actually a box and didn’t know it was all edible. The cake didn’t last long. It was all gone by the next day.
I also made pirate themed cupcakes to go with the cake. :)
Your comment has been sent successfully.