I made this fairytale Barbie doll cake for my niece’s 5th birthday. Barbie just had to be the theme this year!
5th Birthday Barbie Doll Cake Directions
- To make the cake I prepped four 8″ rounds and used a basic (WASC) white almond sour cream cake recipe.
- The filling was a raspberry sauce made with fresh raspberries from my niece’s own garden.
- Once completely cooled the four cakes were filled and then layered.
- Once they were layered, I carved out the dress shape and then dirty iced the entire cake with homemade buttercream frosting.
- Then… in went Barbie-waist deep in cake! (I should mention that Barbie worked best unclothed and with her legs wrapped in plastic wrap!)
- I made a ton of buttercream frosting, about four batches.
- I tinted it three shades of purple and teal.
- Starting at the base of the dress, I used the #852 star decorating tip and worked around the base of the dress about 2 or 3 rows.
- Then I switched out to the next color and proceeded upwards another two rows or so.
- Finally, I switched to the last color and finished the top of her dress.
- I filled any holes/mishaps with white flowers and edible pearls.
- I ended up making a quick batch of vanilla cupcakes and filled them with the leftover raspberry filling.
- Each of the cupcakes were topped with a teal rose, again using the #852 star tip.
For my first specialty cake I think I faired pretty well. My niece was in love with the cake and everyone at the party couldn’t stop talking about it and praising me for a job well done. It took a long time, about 10 hours total, but I think it was so worth it! It looked amazing and tasted awesome! On to the next.