I made a zombie eating brains cake for a Mom that needed a 17th birthday cake for her daughter. She wanted gore, and brains, and then at the last minute she asked for me to add zombies.
I didn’t know where to begin. I had never made a fondant person before, let alone a “zombie”. Surprisingly, I was not able to find many zombie tutorial videos or pages at all. My inner creativity really had to come through for this one.
How I Made the Zombies Eating Brains Cake
- I searched online for tips on how to make brain cakes.
- I didn’t want to use fondant (too sweet) so I used 2 layers of 8 inch round cakes for them. 1 was chocolate and one was vanilla, but the batter was colored red like blood.
- I used a large round Wilton tip with peach colored Swiss meringue buttercream and just free handed the brain swirls.
- I used homemade raspberry syrup to create the blood over the brains.
- I attempted to make a fondant knife, but it was too top heavy so it kind of sank in the cake.
- I made the zombies using a fondant recipe called Kimberly Chapman’s fondant. Since the writer said it dried rock hard, I knew I needed this fondant to hold up.
- I eventually watched YouTube videos on how to make fondant people and made the zombie green with a torn up shirt.
- My 8 year old son said it would be cool to break one of the zombie’s legs, and have one coming out of the brain.
I put it all the ideas together and this is what I got. Needless to say, the birthday girl loved it!