Take a look at these cool homemade Caterpillar cake ideas shared with us by cake decorators from around the world. Along with the birthday cakes here, you’ll also find loads DIY birthday cake-making ideas and how-to tips to inspire your next birthday cake project. Enjoy!
And don’t forget… if you end up with a cool cake, have great tips to share or pictures of awesome birthday cakes you’ve made in the past, share them here and be a part of our coolest birthday cake community.
Latest Caterpillar Cakes
- Coolest Caterpillar Cakes and Childrens Birthday Cake IdeasI decided I wanted to make my daughter’s first birthday cake. I chose her party colors and wanted a cute … Read more
- Coolest Caterpillar Birthday Cake GalleryI browsed through the cake gallery on this site and made this cake using the Wilton sports ball pans. I … Read more
- Coolest Caterpillar Cake for GrandsonWe had our hearts set on a caterpillar cake for our grandson’s 2nd birthday so, after searching locally for ball … Read more
- Colourful Caterpillar CakeThis is the first cake I ever made! Well, that was decorated, anyway. My daughter’s first birthday cake, we had … Read more
- Very Hungry Caterpillar CakeI made this amazing cake for my daughters first birthday. It was baked using a bundt pan and cut into … Read more
- Cool Homemade Pink and Orange Caterpillar CakeI came across so many wonderful caterpillar cake ideas on this site – I just had to make one for … Read more
- Cool Homemade Brightly Colored Caterpillar Birthday CakeI had so much fun making this Caterpillar Birthday Cake for my daughter’s first birthday. All it took was two … Read more
- Coolest Baby Einstein Catepillar Birthday CakeI decided to make this Baby Einstein Catepillar Birthday Cake after seeing pics of all the other Baby Einstein Catepillar … Read more
- Cool Homemade Baby Einstein Caterpillar Cake with Caterpillar Smash CakeThese Baby Einstein Caterpillar cakes were done for my boss’s son Hunter, for his 1st birthday in 2008. His party … Read more
- Coolest Very Hungry Caterpillar Birthday CakeFor my son’s first birthday I decided on the “Very Hungry Caterpillar” theme. I actually used this site to get … Read more
- Coolest Hungry Caterpillar 1st Birthday CakeI used a recipe for a chocolate-marble-cake and scaled it up as I needed to bake 3 cakes for the … Read more
- Coolest Homemade Catterpillar Cake Gallery 7We did a girly bug party for my daughters 2nd birthday party. She was always talking about caterpillars so I … Read more
I made this caterpillar cake for my son’s first birthday. The idea came from photos of other cakes. I used the Betty Crocker bake n’ fill cake pan. The feet are rolled up fruit Twizzlers and the antennae are pipe cleaners. The cake is on cardboard with colored coconut for grass.,
To make this caterpillar cake I used two bundt cakes. I cut the cakes in half and then arranged them in a zig zag pattern. I had to cut the head and tail ends a bit to get the shape I wanted. For the frosting I used a sweetened stabilized whipped cream. (If you use whipped cream you must have enough room in your fridge for your cake.)
I used a star tip to decorate but I used long strokes running from one side of the cake to the other to make stripes. I used candy and marshmallows for decorating. I found curly candles and used those for the antennae. If you use skittles to decorate the cake I would suggest waiting until close to serving time to place them on the cake. I found the color from the candies dripped a bit.
I used the Wilton sports ball shaped mold preparing each caterpillar cake a different flavor (and without eggs for my friend’s children who have egg allergies). I then bought buttercream frosting at the cake store that has such an awesome array of colors.
I frosted them in the same order we made her invitations. For the eyes we bought plastic eyes, the antennas are pipe cleaners, the mouth is made out of Pez candies, a jelly bean nose and licorice feet.