I made this homemade Bolt cake for my great-nephew’s birthday.
To make a “Bolt” cake:
1. Go online and get a picture of Bolt that will work for a sheet cake. Print the picture and then take it to a copy store and blow it up to fit your cake board (Mine is 11 x 17).
2. Make an 11 x 15 sheet cake or two 9 x 13 cakes.
3. Place cake on cake board. Cut out picture of Bolt and lay on top. Cut around shape of Bolt.
4. Crumb coat cake with buttercream frosting. Put in refrigerator for at least 2 hours (I do overnight).
5. Roll out white fondant and cover cake. Use edible black marker at eyes, mouth, legs, and toes. Use fingers to make indents at marker lines and also at neck and ear lines.
6. Using photocopy, make eyes, nose, and bolt out of black fondant. Cut 1/4″ strip of black fondant for collar. Make ear insets out of pink fondant. Make name tag out of gold fondant. Tack in place with small brush of water.
7. Make bone out of left-over cake, if desired.