My daughter is to be the big 30 so I wanted to make her a giant cupcake cake for a surprise.
I had to make the decorations first. I made two different flowers in assorted sizes and when these had hardened I coloured the centres of the flowers with some food colouring watered down with a little vodka. This is so that it would dry quickly because the vodka would evaporate. I then modelled the numbers 30.
I purchased some chocolate fingers and Maltesers for decoration and purchased some orange ribbon (enough to wrap around the base of the cake and make a bow).
It was now time to make the cake.
Preparing and Assembling the Giant Cupcake Cake
- I made a chocolate cake mix and filled both halves of the giant cup cake tin and baked.
- When baked I turned it out onto a cooling rack.
- When cold I attached the cake to the cake board with a little chocolate butter cream.
- I then levelled off the top of the bottom half of the cake and also levelled off the base of the top half of the cake.
- I spread on some butter cream before attaching the top of the cake.
- I covered the base half of the cake and started to attach the chocolate fingers.
- I then mixed some butter cream and coloured half with orange.
- I filled a piping bag by adding 1 spoon of orange and 1 spoon of natural and when I piped the rose swirls the colours mingled together.
- I then attached the flowers, Maltesers and the numbers 30 to the cake.
- Finally, I attached the ribbon, made the bow and attached it to finished the cake.
Everyone loved it.
TagsEditors Picks Cupcakes
More Giant Cupcake Cakes
Take a look at all the Giant Cupcake cakes on the site.