I came up with the idea for this chocolate bar cake because I wanted to make a special cake for a friend’s birthday. She is Norwegian and she loves chocolate, so I decided to create a replica of one of her favorite chocolate bars in cake form.
How I Made My Friend’s Chocolate Bar Cake
- The bar I chose to replicate had hazelnuts in it, so I made a hazelnut cake with a mocha buttercream frosting in a 13 x 9 baking pan.
- Originally I was just going to paint the wrapper to look like the actual one, but as I got into the process of designing the cake I decided to give it some dimension and make it as an opened bar to reveal the “chocolate.”
- I made a scale template of the bar and cut out all of the large letters, the logo and the flowers in fondant and painted them.
- I painted the mountains, the bar background and the back of the logo directly onto the light blue fondant.
- For the inside I made the individual pieces to sit on top of the wrapped cake.
- I made a template of the crane and embossed it into the fondant pieces with the head of a pin.
The cake wasn’t perfect but my friend loved it.