Who doesn’t love pirates! This pirate cake was such a fun cake to make. It was 3 tiers of cake topped off with a chocolate pirate skull.
Pirate Cake Instructions
- The bottom two tiers I ruffled with different shades of white and blue fondant to give it the appearance of waves.
- The top tier was part of the ship.
- The tentacles were also made from 50/50 fondant/gum paste mix and a little Tylose powder to help stiffen it faster.
- The ship I hand cut from fondant and added it to the waves, tilted to make it look like the ship was being dragged down by the tentacles.
- The sails on the ship were cut from rice paper.
- The sand was a mixture of brown sugar and crushed cookies.
- The pirate was made from melted chocolate and dusted with edible dusting powder to make it look a little dirty. And of course he needed a gold tooth which I painted with edible gold paint.
- My favorite part of this cake was the cannons. I placed candles inside each of them for the birthday boy to light up.
Everything on the cake was edible except the candles and the treasure coins. They were a little party favor to hand out to the guests.
My favorite part of creating cakes is learning new techniques with each cake and the smile it brings to someone’s face.