Take a look at these cool homemade Vegetable and Fruit-shaped creative cakes shared with us by cake decorators from around the world. Along with the birthday cakes here, you’ll also find loads DIY birthday cake-making ideas and how-to tips to inspire your next birthday cake project. Enjoy!
And don’t forget… if you end up with a cool cake, have great tips to share or pictures of awesome birthday cakes you’ve made in the past, share them here and be a part of our coolest birthday cake community.
Latest Vegetable and Fruit-Shaped Cakes
- Coolest 3D Pineapple Birthday CakeThis was a Pineapple cake I made for friend’s that shared a birthday. We decided on a pineapple sort of … Read more
- Easy Watermelon CakeNice cake for a summer BBQ! I didn’t get a picture of it cut but I used white cake that … Read more
- Cool Watermelon CakeI was taken aback when my friend called me and asked me whether I could make a Watermelon Cake. On … Read more
- Coolest Fruit and Vegetable Cake for the Local Craft and Produce FairThe actual cake was made using an all in one lemon sponge recipe (12oz SR flour, 12oz caste sugar, 12oz … Read more
- Coolest Halloween and Fall Birthday CakeMy daughter told me she wanted a birthday cake with a ghost and fall harvest. I’m not a professional baker. … Read more
- Coolest Chili Red Hot Pepper CakeThis Chili Red Hot Pepper cake was fun to do. I used a 12 x 18 sheet cake pan, made 2 … Read more
- Cool Homemade Watermelon CakeThis watermelon cake was made for a friend’s 40th birthday. Yes, there are 40 party ants at this picnic made … Read more
- Coolest Banana And Monkey CakeI had a blast making this banana and monkey cake! It was a banana flavored cake with banana cream filling. … Read more
- Coolest Hot Chili Pepper CakeI used the tear drop shaped Wilton pans, all sizes for this hot chili pepper cake. It was a vanilla … Read more
- Cool Garlic Lovers Dream CakeIt was my father’s 80th birthday and I wanted to make a cake that was something he loved, so we … Read more
- Awesome Homemade 3D Watermelon CakeI made this watermelon cake for my grandmother’s 79th birthday. They wanted a watermelon themed birthday cake. I used 2 … Read more
- Coolest Ear of Corn CakeEvery year my nephew tries to come up with ideas for the craziest birthday cakes for me to try to … Read more
More Creative Cakes
This is a strawberry flavored cake with strawberry cream filling. I used a heart shaped pan and covered the cake with fondant. I airbrushed the red color but mixed the green in by hand. There are many ideas for creative cakes on this site; we chose this one because of our love for strawberries.
This is a white cake dyed red with mini chocolate chips mixed in the batter to look like watermelon seeds. The cake is covered with fondant which was airbrushed green., I found the idea on this site for creative cakes seeing as we love watermelon!
I made this cake for a friend’s daughter’s first birthday. It was a Strawberry Shortcake theme and she simply wanted a strawberry. I wrote “A Berry Happy First Birthday” around the base of the cake. I used two boxed cake mixes – one strawberry, one white swirling together.
The cake itself was constructed using one heart shaped pan as the base and one bowl-shaped cake for the top. (I had an extra heart shaped cake left over). The bowl cake was cut in half. I placed one half on top of the iced heart cake toward the top of the heart. Then I cut the other half in half (fourth of original bowl cake). I pieced these using icing on top of the base toward the bottom of the heart. I had to do a little trimming to get the shape just right. I tried to have it slope down like a real strawberry.
Using my round tip I piped the outline for the leaves. Using my star tip I piped the green leaves and then the red. (Getting the red just right was a challenge. I added very little blue to get the right shade for a strawberry.) I also made a stem using a large round tip.
I am not very good at making creative cakes but this one was a hit!,
I made this from a heart shaped pan. I bought red coloring at the store and mixed it in to white frosting. I also mixed up some green frosting. I used brown sprinkles (picked out from my mixed colors) for the seeds. I traced the green foliage with green gel icing.
Thanks to this website for such wonderful ideas for creative cakes, I was searching for something easy and found it on this site!
This is a cake I made for my sister’s last day of a Nursing Course at school. They were having a little celebration and she asked me to make something special seeing as I always make special creative cakes. I thought this cake very special and very elegant..
I made this cake out of and oval shaped pan. I made a basket weave around the outside of the cake with a light yellow buttercream icing. I used a #12 and 10 round tip for the grapes which were colored purple and wine. I used a leaf tip for the leaves and a # 3 tip for the vines curling them as I went along to resemble a vine. I decided on a white border at the top and bottom to help give it contrast and color.
I make all the birthday cakes for my co-workers and I always ask them what their favorite flavor is so that they are as happy as possible with the result of my creative cakes.
One co-worker would only say “I like peaches”. This is what I came up with. It was a classic white cake with peach preserves layered in between. I colored vanilla frosting (it came out a little too orange but oh well) and gave it a base coat.
I used a grass/hair tip and put the same color on the top with that to make the “peach” look fuzzy. I baked sugar cookies for the stem and leaves and used more vanilla frosting I colored to cover all of them.
*Tip: The cookies that are actually on the cake have a rounded appearance because I baked some sugar cookie dough then cut these shapes out while it was still hot and rounded the sides with my fingers.
I made this for my granddaughter’s first birthday. They had a strawberry shortcake party. These are made out of cupcakes. I arranged them to look like a strawberry and icing them red, put dots on and then used a leaf tip to do the top. You will notice in the picture there is a small strawberry just for her. This was just made out of a small Pyrex bowl and icing the same way as the big one. ooled down the shapes were nice and firm and completely perfect!
For my daughter’s first birthday, we had a luau!! To go with the tropical theme, I made a pineapple shaped cake that was not only shaped like a pineapple; it was pineapple cake as well! I used a pineapple shaped pan I found on eBay and a recipe for pineapple cake off of allrecipes.com. I frosted it with cream cheese frosting (so it wasn’t quite as sweet). To decorate, I piped in the outline first with the green and brown, then filled in with the green on the top and the yellow on the bottom. Easy to do and it looked great!
This is one of my more creative cakes – Chocolate Dipped Strawberry Cake.
One 10×15 sheet layer of yellow cake, cut free handed into a strawberry with leaves, then split and filled with a whipped white chocolate/strawberry ganache. Berry frosted with a red tinted Italian meringue buttercream, flavored with strawberry puree.
Leaves frosted with green tinted plain Italian meringue buttercream. Belgian chocolate ganache poured over the lower half and piped with white chocolate slashes, to create the fancy ‘dipped’ look. White chocolate ‘seeds’ finish it off.
My daughter had a strawberry birthday party for her 4th birthday. I made this cake with a heart shaped pan and frosted it with canned pink frosting. I used a tube of green decorating icing to make the greens at the top and placed chocolate chips upside down for the seeds. It was a big hit.
The cake mix was made in a 10″ round cake pan. This cake is sculpted into a strawberry shape and then iced with a thin layer of butter cream. It’s covered with homemade butter cream rolled fondant. I then cut leaves out of fondant with cookie cutters. Creative cakes get many compliments!
For these types of creative cakes I use an airbrush to achieve this look.