My daughter loves everything related to the space, so she decided her birthday theme would be the space, with a Solar System cake. We reviewed lots of space cakes’ pictures, and researched the planets – colors, sizes, ratio between them…
I baked a circle shaped cake, covered it with chocolate and drew the orbit of the planets, when the Sun was the center. All planets were made of chocolate balls (the brighter are simply without cocoa powder), wrapped with something.
The biggest limitation I had – I didn’t want to use food coloring. So I had to find all kinds of replacements to color the planets:
- The Sun was wrapped with white chocolate mixed with turmeric (it was even tasty, unexpectedly)
- Mercury & Venus were covered with coconut
- Mars was simply a cherry
- Earth contained dried peas
- Jupiter was mixed of dark and bright chocolate balls dough
- Saturn was covered with white chocolate, and its rings were made out of Dried pineapple
- Uranus was a kiwi (since it should be brighter than Neptune)
- Neptune was white chocolate with crushed berries (but didn’t turned as blue as I hoped)
- Pluto was not covered with anything (yes, I know Pluto is not defined as a planet anymore, but my daughter didn’t agree to leave Pluto out)
I also made chocolate stars (of chocolate balls dough), seperate from the cake (just cut them with a cookie cutter).
My daughter was totally satisfied! And all the kids wanted a piece of cake with a planet on it…
Your comment has been sent successfully.