I was asked to make a Fault in the Stars cake even though I hadn’t seen the movie or read the book. So, I had to go to the Internet to get an idea of what the heck to do for this cake request.
It was pretty simple. I baked 2 thick layers of fresh lemon buttermilk cake, filled and frosted them smooth with homemade vanilla cream cheese frosting that I had colored a deep blue. I set a small portion of frosting aside before coloring it, and added some white coloring to it.
Decorating the Cake
- I made two 1/4 batches of candy modeling clay, one from ultra white candy melts, and one from black candy melts.
- I rolled each to about 1/8 inch thick, and used a flower shaped cookie cutter that I squeezed to make the shapes more like a cloud, to cut out one black and one white cloud.
- I set these aside to harden. I also used a small star cutter to cut out lots of black and white stars.
- I used a small squeeze tube of prepared back frosting to pipe large balls around the bottom of cake, alternating with blue and the reserved white frosting.
- I placed the clouds on top of the cake, piped birthday on them, then placed the cut out stars.
- Last but not least, I sprinkled silver luster dust over the top of the cake.
The cake came out cute, it didn’t give me any hassle, and the young lady I made it for was pretty happy with it. :)