Most cake designers cater to a certain area within a city. Maybe, to an entire city (if it’s a small one). And, if the word about their cakes really gets around, they may get orders from neighboring cities as well. However, Romina, a work-from-home mother of two, delivers her cakes to an entire country!
OK, so she lives in Malta, one of the smallest countries in the world. An archipelago in the Mediterranean Sea, Malta is about the same size as Little Rock, Arkansas. From the very north of the main island to the very south it takes about an hour to drive. So, if you happen to live anywhere in Malta and you need a cool birthday cake, you can always turn to Romina.
Like many other cake designers, at the very foundation of Romina’s love for cake decorating stands her mother who made her childrens’ birthday cakes and let them take part. “Since I was a teenager I liked to help my mother decorate our birthday cakes,” recalls Romina. “Although the cakes consisted of only some melted chocolate and some sprinkles on the top, I still enjoyed it a lot. This applied not only to cakes but also to other types of deserts or vegetable dishes which needed some sort of decorations.”
As a mother herself, Romina made her daughters first birthday Ladybug cake and it was such a success that from that point onwards friends began to ask her to make their cakes and the word began to spread around the… country.
With two young children at home, Romina normally makes her cakes while they are at school or late at night while everyone is fast asleep. “While I am decorating a cake I feel extremely relaxed,” says Romina. “I forget the stress of daily life. For those hours it’s just me and my cake, nothing else.”
A self-taught cake decorator, Romina never went to any cake decorating classes and learned all she knows from books and YouTube. She also doesn’t dream of having her own full-time cake business. “Cake decorating is a hobby for me and I would like it to remain a hobby,” she admits. “In fact, I do not do more than 2 cakes per week because I don’t have enough time to do more and because I’m afraid that if I have too many cakes to do, I will be very stressed and wouldn’t continue to enjoy it anymore.”
Romina’s main word of advice for fellow cake decorators is: PATIENCE. “Patience when baking the cake, patience when decorating it and patience with the customers (especially the difficult ones).”
- Coolest Thomas the Train Birthday CakeThe mother of a little boy named Ethan asked me to make a cake for her son’s 3rd birthday. She … Read more
- Coolest Chest of Toys CakeI wanted to make a cake for the son of my friend who was turning 2. The boy’s name is … Read more
- Coolest Moshi Monsters Birthday Cake and PopsA friend of mine phoned me to order a cake for her daughter’s 8th birthday. She wanted a Moshi Monsters … Read more
- Coolest Mountain Birthday CakeA friend of mine is going to face an extremely tough challenge in September 2013. She is going to climb … Read more
- Coolest Me to You Teddy Bears CakeI did this Me to You Teddy Bears Cake for a girl who is a great fan of the Me … Read more
- Coolest Oliver in the Box CakeBaby TV channel is very popular here in Malta and the very young ones love all the characters and their … Read more
- Coolest 3D Minnie Mouse CakeGirls love Minnie mouse. A few weeks ago a lady phoned me and asked me if I can make a … Read more
- Cool Homemade 3D Tigger Birthday CakeI was asked to make a Tigger birthday cake for the 1st birthday of a beautiful little girl. I must … Read more
- Coolest Homemade LaLaLoopsy Birthday CakeLaLaLoopsy is a sort of rag doll which is very famous here in Malta. A lady phoned me and wanted … Read more
- Awesome Jasmine on Comfy Cushions CakeThe Disney Princesses are and will remain always a favorite with young little girls. A few weeks ago a lady … Read more
- Coolest Cars Spiral Birthday CakeI did this Cars spiral birthday cake for my son’s 4th birthday. He is a big fan of the Disney Pixar … Read more
- Cool Homemade Ice Age CakeWho said that a nice cake should be difficult to make? This Ice Age cake is a particular example of … Read more
Would you like to be featured on our site?!
We really appreciate cake makers who share their creations and inspiration on our site. If you’ve contributed at least three cakes to our site and would like us to feature your cakes or cake-business (for free, of course), please contact us. Obviously we can’t feature everyone, but we will do our very best!