“My dream would be to work from home full time cake baking…”
Over the past years, Linda from Walsall England has shared with us many of her amazing cakes, photos and very often detailed writeups of how she made the cakes and the part we love most – the story behind the cake.
Every cake that’s submitted to this site is manually reviewed and approved. Sometimes we get two or three cakes from the same cake-decorator. Sometimes a few more. But the number of cakes Linda has posted is beyond belief, as are her cakes.
We just had to meet up with Linda and find out a little bit more about this very special cake-decorating enthusiast.
Linda, 50, is married with two grown children who have families of their own. Evenings are her favorite time to bake and she’s often up till midnight decorating her cakes.
“I’ve always baked birthday cakes for my children throughout the years,” says Linda. “However, it’s nothing like I do now. As my children grew up and I had more time to myself, I started to look things up. YouTube was very helpful. I learned about icing and decorating and gradually over the years I have obtained many decorating tools and I’m still adding to my collection.”
Linda’s biggest challenge was making her daughter’s wedding cake. On special occasions, close members of my family also get a cake (“whether they want one or not…”) and, although she’s never promoted her cakes, once in awhile Linda gets orders mainly by word of mouth from people who have seen what she’s done in the past.
“Although I put a lot of work into the decoration, the cost of my cakes is minimal because all my icing is hand coloured and as long as the cost is covered that’s fine,” says Linda. “My dream would be to work from home full time cake baking but I don’t have the room nor the time so maybe one day I’ll get work in a cake decorating shop. Its just a buzz to be decorating a cake!”
As a little girl, Linda used to watch her mom bake and now she is passing on the passion of baking to her granddaughter, Brooke. “She gets so excited when she sees the mixer come out and I let her crack the eggs,” says Linda. “She gets to choose the coloured cupcake cases and sprinkles too and takes them home to her mom and dad.”
If you want to contact Linda, you can either leave her a comment below (and also congratulate Linda on being selected our Cake-Maker of the Month). You can also contact Linda directly at lindarainbow[at]ymail.com.
- Cool Homemade 2 Tier Christening Cake for my GrandsonI was so excited when my daughter in law asked me to make a Christening cake for my grandson’s christening. … Read more
- Coolest Basque Cake for my Husband’s BirthdayMy husband’s birthday was the 1st January. He was 51. I love making cakes and really wanted to make something … Read more
- Cool Homemade Minnie Mouse 2nd Birthday CakeI was asked by a friend to make this Minnie Mouse 2nd birthday cake. She gave me a picture of how she … Read more
- Coolest Fortnite Birthday CakeI made this Fortnite birthday cake for my grandson’s birthday. He loves Fortnite, especially the Lama. First thing I had to … Read more
- Coolest Jungle CakeI was asked to make a jungle cake for a 1st birthday. Out of modelling paste I made one monkey … Read more
- Coolest Champagne Bottle CakeI was asked to make a cake with a champagne bottle on the top for a ladies birthday. I like to … Read more
- Coolest Hatchimals CakeThis Hatchimals cake has been designed by my granddaughter for her 9th birthday. I was asked to do the cake … Read more
- Coolest Peppa Pig Birthday Cake for a Special GirlThis Peppa Pig birthday cake was a very special cake. I made this for my granddaughter and the characters on … Read more
- Coolest Camping CakeI made this camping cake for my 40 year old niece. For the toppers: I shaped the caravan out of … Read more
- Coolest Barbie CakeI was asked to make this cake for a friend’s daughter. She saw the Barbie cake I made my granddaughter, … Read more
- All-White Cute Wedding CakeI was asked by a friend to make a 3 tier wedding cake. We searched Pinterest and she picked a design … Read more
- Coolest Princess CakeA friend of mine asked me to make a cake for her daughters 5th birthday. She purchased a crown and a … Read more
Would you like to be featured on our site?!
We really appreciate cake makers who share their creations and inspiration on our site. If you’ve contributed at least three cakes to our site and would like us to feature your cakes or cake-business (for free, of course), please contact us. Obviously we can’t feature everyone, but we will do our very best!